Home > Uncategorized > A Tale of Two Cities…

The Corona Virus: Two Cities, Two Responses, One Disaster…

CITY A:CITY B:
8+ million people.6+ million people.
Covid Response: “Lockdown” entire population; enforce social distancing; mass closing of social spacesFind and isolate every person with the virus. (NO “lockdown”; no mass closings.)
RESULTS:
Total # cases:42,000926
New cases (today):1,200+47
Total deaths:1,000+3
Deaths (today)105NONE
Locations:City A:
New York City
City B:
Singapore

Questions:

1. Which city would you want to be living in right now?
  2. What is City B doing that City A is not? (And vice versa).

The Singapore Solution:

Singapore doesn’t have any more testing equipment than the US has. But, they realized that everyone harboring the virus starts with a FEVER. So, they take everyone’s temperature. Multiple times a day, at population nexus points, using laser digital thermometers. (So fast, it doesn’t slow down traffic.) They put people with fevers in 2-week quarantines… everyone else can go about their normal lives, using some enhanced health procedures, but NO LOCKDOWNS.

The numbers speak for themselves. Given the usual level of American arrogance, we may never admit that our system doesn’t work…

The Source of my information: The Worldometer. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ There’s other credible, believable info out there…

13 Comments, RSS

• Sandra Campbell

April 1, 2020 at 1:07 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in the Campaign for an Awakening Humanity. I wear my button every day and I will continue wearing it beyond the campaign. You have enlightened me as to what my role is in creating a world that works for all—especially during this pandemic. Your daily messages have enabled me to focus my attention in a positive direction. a THANK YOU!!!

• Linda Hassler

April 1, 2020 at 2:50 pm

Well done!

• Carol

April 1, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Thank you Shariff. I am more concerned about the precedent setting of Marshall law than I am about the virus.

• Shariff

April 1, 2020 at 6:13 pm

So am I. And, I’m also concerned by how many millions of people are willing to comply, without question.

• George

April 1, 2020 at 8:58 pm

So am I… Quite astonished at how far the brain washing has progressed. WOW! I feel like if I even TRY to talk actual facts in public, I could get ‘stoned’ as a pariah. How DARE you take this lightly and infect us all? They will NOT listen to any facts while fear is clogging their brains. Thank you for your wonderful advice.

Benjamin Franklin once said: “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

• Ros

April 1, 2020 at 10:46 pm

i so agree with Mr Franklin.. so wise….the more safety you have, the less freedom you have… but it’s when others coerce/shame us into their fears is when I really take issue..

• William Munk

April 1, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Thanks for the boredpanda jokes…humor in a time of stress is so very valuable. Fear is more contagious than the virus, and just as destructive. Laughter, as they say in The Reader’s Digest, is the best medicine.

• Shariff

April 1, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Actually, I think the fears generated by the virus are MORE destructive than the virus ever could be.

However, for us, the fear-free, the possibilities and visions unleashed by the virus may be the most powerful step on the road to a transformed society.

• Ros

April 1, 2020 at 10:55 pm

check out homeopathy when treating genus epidemicus (and all acute and chronic illness for that matter)… the stats are staggering…
    history has the numbers: US civil war deaths, cholera in the UK in 19th century, lepto spirosis in Cuba 2009, Spanish flu in 2018 (1% mortality rate v 50-60% using western medicine)
    (interestingly but not surprising you will find that where big pharma as not entered or monopolised markets, ie communist regimes, India etc, non capitalist countries have used this medicine because it is cheap and so goddam effective… as long as the practitioner is good!)

but the basic tenet is treat the person (which is how homeopathy works), not the disease… ie stay healthy and happy, eat well and exercise and enjoy

• Russell

April 2, 2020 at 10:45 pm

The difference between the two is one city had immediate and thorough testing so they could identify the sick, their contacts, and then isolate them. The other didn’t so separating everyone was the only viable option to slow the spread. They are not “apples to apples” and representing them as such is disingenuous at best.

• Shariff

April 2, 2020 at 10:55 pm

I respectfully and seriously disagree. America can start testing and isolating the virus RIGHT NOW. It would be messy and incomplete, but better than a completely untried and untested theory/experiment. How long will we keep up the “lockdown“, before we recognize that it doesn’t work, and that it has drastic, negative unintended consequences?

• Shariff

April 3, 2020 at 12:08 am

And… you said “…separating everyone was the only viable option to slow the spread.” I agree that the shutdown slows the spread… but it does nothing to contain, isolate or eliminate the spread. NYC could be in deep trouble for a long, long time. That has NOTHING to do with the characteristics of the virus.

Start testing for fevers, encouraging face masks, and isolating only the sick… and watch the NYC corona virus rate plummet.

• Russell

April 2, 2020 at 10:50 pm

“Singapore’s relatively low rate of infection came through a potent combination of early and intensive policy intervention, including shutting its borders to Chinese travelers on Feb. 1 — roughly a week after China announced it would lock down the city of Wuhan. The government also set up a virus-fighting task force, promptly imposed strict hospital and home quarantine measures, and banned large-scale gatherings. It did stop short of shutting down schools and fully closing its borders.”